Thursday, June 17, 2010

Marketing

I hate marketing. I hate the word. I hate what it means. I hate that I am supposed to do it.

That seems a bit harsh, but much of it is true. When I was practicing law, I spearheaded marketing efforts for the firm for about a year, the year that coincided with my determination to leave law firm life. And yes, to some degree, those two facts were linked.

I received an email today from an old law colleague in New York, whose firm was announcing (i.e., marketing) a new partner in their Chicago office. Lists of credentials and accomplishments and glowing words followed this new partner's name. I remember the days of writing copy for that sort of thing. There are many words we can use to describe that kind of marketing but we can all think of some that aren't appropriate for my PG rated blog.

When I read this announcement, I actually felt relieved. Relieved that I didn't have to write that stuff anymore. Relieved that I didn't have that stuff written about me anymore.

And yet, I still need to conquer marketing. It's not all bad (not even marketing for lawyers). And it's certainly a good thing when you market the saving power of God.  I have to figure out that sweet spot so that I can market my skills, the skills of my ministers, and the ministries I oversee in a manner that suits my personality and my beliefs about how hard a sell should be.

I've waited for divine revelation about marketing long enough.  Apparently God wants me to put some effort into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment